Friday, July 6, 2012

A more thorough book review

Several months ago I gave you a list of the books I read in 2011. Well I'm re-reading one of them right now.
Don't judge me. 'Count of Monte Cristo' was good... but 1200+ pages in 3 weeks (which was when it was due back at the library)?  I got through about half of it and had to move on. I'll come back to it but I needed to switch things up.

I've told you about 'Bittersweet' before. I've told you it's a book that is WELL WORTH IT. I decided to give it a 2nd try, to verifiably see if I should purchase the book. Plus I was wanting a book with three page chapters full of things to think about and gently fill the space in my mind. I'm going to buy it.

Rather than repeat word for word what I said back in December here are a few excerpts to give you a simple taste of how stinkin' great three page chapters can be. Especially when they are sprinkled with love, reality and humor.

"Bittersweet is the idea that in all things there is both something broken and something beautiful, that there is a sliver of lightness on even the darkest of nights, a shadow of hope in every heartbreak, and that rejoicing is no less rich when it contains a splinter of sadness."

"Bittersweet is the practice of believing that we really do need both the bitter and the sweet, and that a life of nothing but sweetness rots both your teeth and your soul."

"When life is sweet, say thank you and celebrate. And when life is bitter, say thank you and grow."

"Pray to be redeemed not rescued."

"Change is not a function of life's cruelty but instead a function of God's graciousness."

"Sometimes the most spiritual things we do are the most physical, the most tactile."

"... That's why travel is so important among other reasons: to get far enough away from our everyday lives to see those lives with new clarity."

Get thee to your library and soak some of this up. Summertime for me is a season of pausing. I need words like this to help in my reflection, they are life giving and grounded in the grace of Christ.  Perhaps you aren't a reader who likes 'mushy'. I'm not either and really do dislike books that say "Girl, wear those heels and strut your stuff!" This book has nothing like that in it anywhere. I truly feel like I'm sitting at a coffee shop with a friend sharing stories about life and what has been learned along the way. You will be surprised at how 'light' the reading is but then you will be equally surprised at how much the words challenge you to think and reflect.





Til next time, remember to find beauty in your midst!
~me

No comments:

Post a Comment