Thursday, December 8, 2011

Holidays

It has been one crazy set of weeks for us here in the P household!
We travelled to see my husbands family, in the midwest for Thanksgiving, and ate and shopped the week away. We had a blast catching up with family whom I hadn't seen in about two years and we were able to see some other friends who we hadn't seen in almost 4! It was a wonderful week off for both Mountain Man and I with the kids.

I don't really have any pictures from that trip because:
1- I didn't take my camera, we were squeezed like sardines in my car (which gets better gas mileage than the other larger more roomy SUV) and taking big bertha wasn't an option
2- I just recently acquired an Iphone so I am trying to take more pictures with that and I'm still figuring out how to get the pictures I take with my phone over to my computer to then blog...I've figured out how to FB them...but...oh well.. who wants to see a bunch of pictures of us eating anyway?

Once we got home we literally spent an hour and a half unpacking then we went out and got our tree. We're the type of people who love having Christmas up for as long as possible. Hopefully the tree will make it through to New Years... With a 4 and 7 year old we are pretty much in the 'little kid' phase of parenting and its fun to see the anticipation the kids have of what to look forward to and what they remember about Christmas's past. They aren't teeny tiny anymore so their excitement starts early (back in October I think we started the countdown) and they are beginning to request special holiday activities. So its a really precious time with them. I pulled out our "Little People" nativity and the kids haven't really touched it, except H who has set it up a few times. Its kinda bittersweet to see them play with it less and less each year, we've had it since R was 1. But I plan on saving it for grandkids someday to play with again and again. Such is life, change, growth, and more change and more growth.

A few days after the tree was set up my mom came and visited us and while she was here Mountain Man went on a long weekend trip with some climbing buddies and they did a little ice climbing. As you can see his handy work has supplied my blog with a very beautiful banner picture. And that picture is pretty much straight out of the camera, I just cropped it. I love the peaceful solitude and long shadows of that snowy valley. It moves me every time I look at it.

Last Friday I bundled up the kids with my mom and headed out to see my sister perform in the family musical 'A year with Frog and Toad' she was one of the two female performers in the five person show. She WAS brilliant in her professional premiere. It is running the whole month of December and I'm looking forward to seeing it once more before it closes.


Every year around this time I start reflecting on the year past and the year to come. I am always overwhelmed with how much we've crammed in to the year, where we have been and what we have done. I'm also really excited about what's in the hopper for 2012. Mountain Man and I spend typically the whole month of December thinking about, praying about, brainstorming, and jotting down goals, ideas, hopes, and dreams of what the next year will hold for our little family. I read this earlier and it COMPLETELY describes how I feel about what is waiting for us in 2012:
"I am thankful for hope, the keen awareness that something good, even great, awaits us in the not too distant future."

Here are a few pictures of some Christmas festiveness for you to enjoy!!



 


 


 
Posted by Picasa


Well I'm off to make some cookies and bust out the egg nog!

No comments:

Post a Comment