Sunday, July 24, 2011

This is Where We Are.

Are we there yet? How much longer? Where are we?
How often do I hear that when I'm on a road trip, or simply driving across town for that matter? A lot. But honestly, I can't blame my kids who don't really have a great concept of 'time'. It's coming slowly but surely to my, now, 7 year old son R but my 3 year old, H, doesn't get it. They just know where we started and where we are going and don't always understand the amount of time it will take us to get to the destination. When my response to their questions is, “We’re almost there”, or “It’s going to be a while,” they sit back and enjoy the ride, they look out the window and watch things pass us by. Then five to ten minutes later we have the exact conversation again.
Where are we right now? Well,
We live in Colorado. I'm married to a mid-western turned mountain man who can be found spending his free time on a mountain bike, road bike, using a climbing rope, an ice ax, or backpacking up a mountain with an elevation over 14,000 feet.



We have two kids. Our son is a vibrant seven year old boy. He is full of fun, curiosity, compassion, kindness, and a love of learning. There was a time when I thought he was going to be non-stop energy but the older he gets the more he mellows out and the more I'm convinced that he has enough energy for all the right things. Our daughter is almost four. I really can't believe it. She's coming into her own personality as I write and is full of questions, negotiations, opinions and an overall loveliness that is altogether hard to ever say no to. The kids are in full swing of a summer filled with play dates, sprinkler running, swim lessons, sleeping in (yes, the day has come when they sleep past 7 on a regular basis), reading, and getting bored.



I guess you can say that I am a mid-western turned mountain gal who loves a good view, a great cocktail, a beautifully taken picture, a day in the mountains, and I'm at my best when I'm living comfortable in my own skin . When given the option of doing whatever I want; I will opt for a night out with my mountain man enjoying a great cocktail, a good view, a gentle breeze and quality live music. I spend my weekdays as a teacher, and enjoy the perks of the best schedule a mom can ever ask for when it comes to working. I am currently enjoying the summer with my kids and all the cooking, reading, cleaning, and relaxing that it entails. It. Is. Glorious.


This is where we are. In Colorado. Living a busy life. Growing a couple kids. Falling in love with many things each day. Challenging ourselves to be better every day. We have many goals, dreams and hopes. But like so many things I can't define the road ahead. I know the constancy of my every day surroundings thats where I find peace. I’m like my children, all I can do is tell you where we are and where we are supposed to end up. I can tell you the lessons I learned along the way and I can tell you the things I remember. I can also tell you my goals, hopes and dreams. But to tell you how exactly those goals, hopes and dreams will happen is impossible for me. I can boast of my plans and my strategies, oh yes! But if I’ve learned anything in the ragtag bunch of years under my belt it’s that today has enough worry of its own. I won’t waste my energy on tomorrow’s worries. Tomorrow is coming whether I want it to or not so I’ll prepare as best as I can and for the rest I’ll have to lay it at His feet and walk behind Him as He leads the way.
Because, “Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life.” Matthew 7:12
And like my children’s simple faith, I’m content with sitting back and enjoying the ride.


Til next time, remember to find beauty in your midst!
~me

No comments:

Post a Comment